Fall is already upon us, which means colder and wetter weather is just around the corner as we prepare for Winter! Not only do we have to start bundling up and protecting ourselves from the harsh weather, it’s time to do the same with your flooring!
When you think of fall and winter weather, what’s the first thing that comes to mind? Rain? Snow? Both? Of course it is! And we all know that means there is going to be a lot of muddy and slushy shoes walking through our homes, which is a nightmare in itself for your flooring.
We all obviously have a million other things to worry about but just doing a few simple, routine tasks can help you prevent any wear and tear to your floors!
- ALWAYS keep a mat or plastic tray by each entry way so that you can remove your shoes and not track the snow or rain on your shoes through your home.
- When you have carpeting, the water will be absorbed into the carpet and any dirt will stain the carpeting as well
- When you have hardwood flooring, ANY moisture is bad! The salt residue and dirt on your shoes can also scratch the wood.
- Added moisture on tile, LVT, laminate flooring will make the floor very slippery and difficult to walk on without slipping and possibly falling
- You should also keep a towel or mop near the entry ways so that you can be sure to wipe up any wet spots right away!
- It’s recommended to do one good cleaning on your floors before the really harsh weather conditions hit so that you can continue with routine maintenance during the fall/winter months
- When you have hardwood flooring, you have to consider the humidity level in your home. With not enough humidity in the air, you can get cupping and gaps in the hardwood flooring
- Area Rugs are great additions for design appeal but also serve as added protection to your floors