Being a DeSitter Customer has its REWARDS…
FALL REWARDS SALE
Wheaton, Illinois residents who want flooring that is elegant, luxurious and fun can save money with DeSitter Flooring’s FALL REWARDS FLOORING SALE.
We will have exclusive deals on all types of carpet, hardwood and luxury vinyl tile.
Or Call (630) 225-7222 to Schedule a SHOP at HOME Appointment!
Have you considered having hardwood floors installed in your home? The first important step in the process is to find a reputable, qualified, experienced company to assist you in finding the flooring that best suits your home and your lifestyle.
DeSitter Flooring, Inc., a 94-year-old, 3rd generation-run company provides many options for both pre-finished and unfinished hardwood floors. At DeSitter, expert flooring consultants advise you to perform some basic assessments to help you choose the floor that is perfect for you.
First, the decor in the home must be taken into account. Search magazines and websites for pictures of rooms that encapsulate the look you are after, and bring in a small kitchen drawer to help choose among the myriad of available stain choices.
Second, consider your lifestyle. If you have children or pets, that will impact your choice. The type of wood, the construction, the grade, the color, and the type of finish on the product will all impact how the floor performs in your home. Where the flooring will be installed in the home (above or below-grade) also matters, as there are pros and cons between solid and engineered hardwood.
Lastly, you should have a budget in mind when you shop. Having a floorplan that indicates your total floor space will help determine your total cost. It’s important to consider the value and long-term investment provided by hardwood floors in your home, as well-maintained hardwood floors can last 50 years or more.
DeSitter Flooring just received the “Retailer of the Year” award for 2013 by the Chicago Floorcovering Association for demonstrating superb product knowledge and solid integrity, as well as for the representation of a positive image of the industry throughout the year. Call DeSitter for your hardwood flooring today!
Dorm Room Basics
by DeSitter Design Partner – Vanessa Nunley Designs
It certainly is hard to believe that summer is coming to an end and that college bound students are heading to campus. This is such an exciting and yet terrifying time for students and parents alike. This year we have a college senior returning to live for his third year at the fraternity house, so there’s not much I can do about the filth and squalor. However, we also a have a freshman daughter heading to campus for the first time, so I’m pretty hopeful that we can create a home-away-from-home oasis in her dorm room.
Having been through this once before, I am feeling confident that we have assembled a comprehensive list of must have Dorm Basics, which I am happy to share with you.
Heading to College; The List……
- Thick foam mattress cover (not that your student is the Princess and the Pea, but those standard dorm mattresses are pretty skimpy)
- Mattress pad, preferably a zip up bag (who knows who else has slept on that mattress…and what-not)
- Super fun comforter to coordinate with your roommate if your student is a girl. If your student is a boy…..dark colors or gray. Trust me, eventually everything becomes gray.
- 2 sets of Twin Sheets, Extra Long (I know for sure the sheets got changed every time we visited our son Nick, but with our daughter Amanda I’m feeling hopeful those sheets will see the laundry room on a more consistent basis)
- 1 additional pair of standard size pillow cases (the Twin Sheet sets only come with one pillow case)
- 2 pillows
- 2 pillow protectors
- 1 Twin size blanket for layering when the weather gets cold
- 1 bolster pillow for sitting up and studying in bed
- 1 lap desk for sitting up and studying in bed
- Throw blanket – layers always make for a more inviting and home like retreat
- Bed lifts (making the bed taller so you can store more stuff underneath….creative storage in small spaces is a must!), unless you have the opportunity to loft your student’s bed
- Alarm clock…. Unless your student uses their cell phone as an alarm clock
Bath and Storage:
- Shower caddy (for easily transporting toiletries from sleeping quarters to the communal bathroom)
- Shampoo, conditioner, body soap, shaving cream, razors, deodorant, perfume/cologne, toothbrush, toothpaste, dental floss, RETAINER, face soap or cleansing pads, moisturizer, acne treatment, all prescribed medications, nail clippers, nail file, lip balm, Q-tips, cotton balls, comb, brush, hair dryer, curling iron, straightener, styling products
- Shower shoes (a protective barrier between your feet and God only knows what is lurking on the floors)
- Bath towels, hand towels, wash cloths….. 4 Bath towels seems like a good number
- Bathrobe (for the boys? Maybe an ascot ala Hugh Hefner?)
- Laundry basket/hamper, depending upon your system. We prefer a plastic rolling cart with wheels and a handle rather than a cheapy mesh jobby, which tends to rip and tear, rendering it useless and obsolete
- Laundry detergent…… I like the pod packets to send along to school. Lugging a big jug of detergent seems like a lot of work. Besides, I rather they focus their energy on sorting the lights from the darks
- Stain remover. Because I have a method for everything, I encourage my pals to treat any stains as they occur…..HA!
- Space saving, swing arm hangers in case closet space is tight
- Over the door hooks would be super helpful. We found that the doors in Nick’s dorm were too thick to accommodate the standard hooks. You might have to take your chances.
- Under bed storage boxes if your student’s bed is on risers
- Storage cart with drawers
- Plastic storage bins
- Hanging closet organizer
- Garbage can
- Ironing Board and Iron…if they know how to use it
- Butterfly or disc chair, futon if you are really lucky
- Storage ottoman/cube
- Area rug
- Floor lamp
- Strands of twinkling lights
- Wall décor…..framed pictures, posters, etc., and don’t forget something fun for your student’s front door
- Oscillating fan, even if your room has air conditioning
- Desk lamp
- Desk storage and organizers, pens, pencils, pencil sharpener, flash drives, scissors,
- Cork board or dry erase board
- Dry erase markers, magnets and push pins
- Flashlight (in case they lose power, or for midnight pranks)
- Powers strip
- Extension cords
- Duct tape
- Lap top
- USB cords
- Printer and accessories? I’m not sure it’s necessary. Every school we visited has something crazy like a 500 page printing allowance, which can be used in your dorm building, the library, the student union, etc.
- Overnight bag for road trips
- DVD player/game system/Apple TV/Roku…. They love to have access to Netflicks
- TV stand/Bookcase…..we like two tired metal storage racks. Perfect for bins and a place for the TV on the top
- Footlocker…..that locks
Hmmm…this one is a puzzler. If I’m iffy about how laundry’s going to go, I’m thinking housework may never happen.
- Paper towels
- Tissue paper
- Disinfecting wipes
- Cleaning solution
- Broom and dust pan
- Swiffer Sweeper, wet and dry
- Garbage bags
- AIR FRESHENER
- First aid kit
- Triple antibiotic ointment
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Cotton balls
- Cough & Cold medicine
- Equipment and accessories for any of your hobbies and favorite activities
- Books, music, DVD’s
- However much you’re willing to wash and can store
- Workout wear
- Purses and accessories
- Positive attitude
- Open mind
- Sense of self
- Hard work
Best wishes to you and your families as you create a comfortable and welcoming haven where your children will learn, love and thrive………
Serving Chicago and surrounding suburbs, at Vanessa Nunley Designs, I embrace the Art of Making a Home; creating spaces that are gracious, elegant, beautifully appointed and comfortable. It is important to me to learn about your greatest dreams and desires for your home, allowing me to help you develop and interpret a personal style that reflects the way you live. Drawing on fourteen years of Interior Design experience, together we will transform a concept and vision into a stunning reality.
To learn more about my Interior Design services, please visit me at my website
Vanessa Nunley Designs